Skip to content
  1. Do it online
  2. Login
  3. Have your say
  4. My Durham

Recycling centres (tips)

Your local household waste recycling centre (HWRC) or tip, is the place to recycle and dispose of household waste.


Please follow government guidance when visiting our sites and be aware that there may be long wait times. Follow us on Facebook or Twitter for updates.

There is a limit on the number of cars on each site, which means that you may have to queue outside the site before you're allowed to enter. You may be turned away if the queues are too long and asked to return another time when it is safe to do so.

Please make sure you wash your hands before and after visit and keep 2m apart.

We offer assistance with heavy items to the elderly and disabled at all sites. Ask a member of staff on site for assistance.

Find your nearest tip

Use our postcode lookup below to find your nearest tip.

Recycling centres 

What you can dispose of at a recycling centre

Recycling centres are for household waste only.

Staff on site may ask you about the type and quantity of waste you are disposing of if they think it could be business or landlord waste.

Waste from allotments is classed as commercial waste which means it is illegal to dispose of it at a Household Waste Recycling Centre (tip).

If you want to get rid of trade or commercial waste, please see Commercial and trade waste services we offer

Please note: only wrapping paper and card without foil and glitter can be recycled at HWRCs.

Do you need a permit?

Yes, there are some instances where you will need a permit.

Vehicles that need a permit to enter the recycling centre

Only certain types of vehicles can enter a recycling centre. Find out if your vehicle is ok and, if not, how to apply for a garden and household waste permit.

Household hazardous waste

Chemicals and hazardous materials like paint, asbestos and bleach must be disposed of carefully. Find out more about household hazardous waste and how to apply for a hazardous waste permit.

Cat litter, human and animal poo: you do not need a permit for this, but it must be double bagged, sealed and separate from other rubbish for health and safety reasons, or we can't accept it. You must tell staff if you have this waste and they will direct you where to put it.

Business and landlord waste

It is against the law for waste from businesses and landlords to be disposed of at a recycling centre. The staff on site regularly monitor the type and quantity of residents' waste and anyone believed to be disposing of trade waste will be asked to provide further information.

Personal data

HWRCs do not offer secure data removal or confidentiality of data, therefore it is your responsibility to ensure your data is removed before depositing any item for recycling or reuse. Items include electronic and mobile devices as well as paper documents.

Contact us
Customer Services
03000 26 0000
Share this page on Facebook Share this page on Twitter Print this page