Skip to content
  1. Do it online
  2. Login
  3. Have your say
  4. My Durham

Please be aware only trailers less than three metres are allowed on our sites and this measurement includes the hitch.

Apply for a garden and household waste permit

If you visit a Household Waste Recycling Centre (tip) with a van, pickup, minibus or you are towing a trailer you need a waste permit.

Apply for a waste permit online. A QR code will be sent to you which will be scanned at the tip from your mobile device or from a printout. You will need to download a new permit for each visit. If you are printing your permit, please print A4 and in black and white.

Your application will be delayed if you do not complete it in full. Straightforward applications, where we have no queries, should come through to your mobile device instantly.

You can also Contact Customer Services if you prefer a paper copy. You will not get a permit straight away if you do this.

How to use your waste permit

A single waste permit is required per visit, which you download and show to a member of staff when you arrive. Permits are free, and you can apply for up to 12 permits a year - this resets at the end of December each year, when any permits you have will expire. The details of the waste on your permit must match what you bring. 

There are two types of household waste:

  • garden and household waste (including leaves, pruning, grass cuttings, branches, trees)
  • household hazardous waste (there are special rules for hazardous waste and only some of our sites accept it. Find out more about why you need to Apply for a waste permit for household hazardous waste, which sites accept this waste and how to apply.)

An individual permit can include multiple items of hazardous, garden or mixed waste, but you must use a tip that can accept hazardous waste if you include it. 

Permits are for County Durham residents only.

See our Recycling centres (tips) page for more information about where they are and when they are open.

Permits are not issued for commercial waste (including waste from landlords) or waste from charities.

    Visiting the site

    Only certain types of vehicles can enter a Household Waste Recycling Centre (HWRC).

    Type of vehicle/trailerIs a permit needed for access?
    Domestic vehicle (family car, estate car, MPV)No
    People carrier or 4x4 with windows and seats in the backNo
    Any vehicle with nine to 16 seatsYes
    Trailer smaller than 3 metres (9 feet 10 inches) including the hitchYes
    Car style pick-upYes

    Vehicles not allowed at our sites

    • livestock carrying vehicles or agricultural vehicles
    • vehicles with a flat bed
    • trailers greater than 3 metres long (9 feet 10 inches) including the hitch
    • vehicles greater than 3.5 tonnes gross vehicle weight (GVW)
    • vehicles longer than 6 metres (19 feet 8 inches)
    • any vehicle with commercial or trade waste

    When you apply online, you must enter an accepted vehicle type to be able to apply for a permit.

    • A maximum limit of one tonne of waste applies to each permit.
    • The person whose name and address is on the permit should be present at the HWRC, even if someone else is driving. You may be asked for ID such as a driving licence or bank card.
    • There is no pedestrian access to HWRCs.

    Permit FAQs


    Share this page

    Share this page on Facebook Share this page on Facebook Share this page on Twitter Share this page on Twitter