Skip to content
  1. Do it online
  2. Login
  3. Have your say
  4. My Durham

Due to essential maintenance, the following systems will be unavailable from 6.00pm on Monday 2 October until 8.00am on Tuesday 3 October: our online council tax, business rates and housing benefit services, and our welfare assistance form. You will also not be able to register to pay council tax online, make a change of address for council tax or cancel single person discount. You are still able to make a payment during this time. We apologise for any inconvenience this may cause.

Getting rid of commercial or trade waste legally

It is illegal to dispose of commercial or trade (business) waste at a Household Waste Recycling Centre (tip). If your waste is flytipped and is traced back to the owner, you can be prosecuted and fined up to £50,000. Find advice on what you should do to ensure you do not break any laws.

Handling commercial / trade waste responsibly

Businesses have a 'duty of care' to handle their waste safely and within the law. We can visit your premises to check that the correct procedures are being followed and together with the Police, we can check your waste carrier licence.

If you want to dispose of commercial or trade waste yourself you must register as a waste carrier. Unregistered waste carriers can be fined up to £5,000 for not possessing a licence.

Please note - if you are carrying waste which you are going to recycle you may still need to register.

What commercial or trade waste is

Commercial or trade waste is any waste produced from a business operation including waste from:

  • repairs, alterations, or property improvements
  • construction or demolition
  • industry or agriculture

It includes waste produced by business activities run from your own home as well as waste from property rentals if you are a private landlord.

Waste from allotments is also classed as commercial waste.

Waste legislation

Your business must comply with the following:

If you are accessing the trade waste bridge, you will need a Waste Carriers Licence and if your load has electrical items you will also need a Hazardous Waste Consignment Notice.

Further information

If you need further information, you should contact the Environment Agency.