Skip to content
  1. Do it online
  2. Login
  3. Have your say
  4. My Durham

Voters are reminded that postal votes can be handed into any polling station within the electoral division up until 10.00pm. If you haven't received your ballot pack and you are registered to vote by post, please contact our election helpline on 03000 261 212.

If you're of working age and think you may be eligible for help with your rent, you must apply for Universal Credit instead of Housing Benefit. Please note that the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) is responsible for Universal Credit - see DWP: coronavirus and claiming benefits for up to date information on how the DWP can help you if you are affected by the coronavirus. 

Make a Housing Benefit claim

For most people of working age, Universal Credit has replaced Housing Benefit. Find out who is eligible to claim Housing Benefit, and how to make a claim.

Who can claim Housing Benefit

You are eligible to claim Housing Benefit if you:

  • have reached state pension age
  • are in supported accommodation (any age)

You cannot claim Housing Benefit if you:

  • own your home and have a mortgage
  • rent your home from a close relative who lives in the same house
  • have applied for Universal Credit
  • or your partner have savings or investments over £16,000 (unless you get Guaranteed Pension Credit)

How to make a claim

Step 1: make a claim 

Use our Benefit claim form and calculator to claim online.

Alternatively you can claim by:

Step 2: provide documents as evidence to support your claim

When we receive your claim, we'll contact you to tell you what documents we need to see. Provide theses documents as soon as possible to avoid delays, and within a month to ensure we process your claim. You can submit your documents in the following ways:

  • You can email all documents (except for proof of identity) to, quote your claim reference in the subject line if known. This can include photographs of the documents.
  • At a customer access point - to make an appointment, contact us.
  • By post (for example passport, birth certificate, medical card) - addressed to: 

Revenues and Benefits
PO Box 238
County Durham

Please don't send valuable items. For more information about the documents we accept, see what information you should provide.

Step 3: your claim is processed 

Once we have received all supporting documents, we will process your claim. We will write to you to confirm your benefit entitlement, telling you how much you will receive and how we reached that decision. We will then make arrangements to pay your benefit - see How is Housing Benefit paid? for more information.

How we calculate your Housing Benefit

The amount you get depends on your household circumstances. This includes the following:

Benefit appeals

If your claim is turned down, or you are not happy with the level of benefit you have been awarded, you can ask us to look at the decision again.

Contact us
Housing Benefit
03000 262 000
Share this page on Facebook Share this page on Twitter Print this page