Skip to content
  1. Do it online
  2. Login
  3. Have your say
  4. My Durham

We will be carrying out essential maintenance on our website on Tuesday 23 April 2024 between the hours of 8.00am and 10.30am. During this time, the website may experience technical issues. We apologise for any inconvenience caused.

Benefit cap

There is a limit on the total amount of benefits that a working age household can receive. The benefit cap applies if you receive Housing Benefit or Universal Credit.

The level of the benefit cap in County Durham is:

£384.62 per week or £1666.68 per month if you are a couple
£384.62 per week or £1666.68 per month if you have children
£257.69 per week or £1116.67 per month if you are single

The benefit cap does not apply to you if anyone in your family receives one of these disability or carer benefits:

  • ESA that includes the support component
  • Universal Credit that includes the work-related activity element
  • UC that includes the carers element
  • Carers allowance
  • Guardians allowance
  • Attendance Allowance
  • Personal Independence Payment
  • Disability Living Allowance
  • Industrial Injuries Benefits
  • War Pension

The benefit also does not apply in these work-related situations:

  • You get Working Tax Credit
  • You get Universal Credit and your net monthly earnings are at least £617 per month
  • You are within the 9 month 'grace period' which means that your earnings were at least £617 in each of the previous 12 months 

These benefits are included when working out if you are benefit capped:

  • Child Benefit 
  • Child Tax Credit 
  • Employment Support Allowance (if there is no support component)
  • Housing Benefit (unless you live in supported accommodation) 
  • Incapacity Benefit 
  • Income Support 
  • Jobseeker's Allowance
  • Maternity Allowance 
  • Severe Disablement Allowance
  • Widowed Parent's Allowance
  • Window's Pension

Further help if you are affected by the benefit cap

If you receive Housing Benefit or Universal Credit housing costs element and are in financial hardship, you apply to the Council for a Discretionary Housing Payment (DHP). These are usually short-term payments until your situation improves.

You can also get advice from the Welfare Rights Service. Please contact us.

Contact us
Contact Welfare Rights
03000 268 968
Our address is:
  • Revenues and Benefits
  • PO Box 254
  • Stanley
  • County Durham
  • United Kingdom
  • DH8 1GG

Contact Housing Solutions
03000 268 000