Apply for a disabled persons bus pass
If you have a disability, apply for a disabled persons bus pass to take advantage of free travel on buses anywhere in England and half fares on some local trains.
If your Durham County Council issued bus pass for the England national concessionary travel scheme (ENCTS) expires on 30 June 2023 we will automatically send you a new one. However, if your address or name has changed since you received your current pass, please contact us.
If your details have not changed there is no need to do anything.
What you need to apply
You will need:
- proof that you live in County Durham, such as a copy of a bank statement, utility bill or council tax letter
- proof of your condition or qualifying benefit
If you're not able to provide evidence of eligibility with your application, we will write to the health/social care professional you have nominated on your application form.
Apply for a bus pass
If you are unable to travel unaided, you may be entitled to a pass that enables a companion to travel free locally with you (bus travel only). To take advantage of this tick the 'bus pass with companion' box on the application form.
- By post: Fill in the and send it to the address on the form, together with the appropriate proof of eligibility and a passport sized photograph.
- Online: Scan or take a photo of your form and supporting documents on a smartphone/mobile device. You can then upload the form and documents using our document submission form. You must include your application form, your evidence and your photograph otherwise we will be unable to process your application.
- In person: Take all your evidence to one of our customer access points (CAP). We will be able to take a photograph for you so there is no need to bring a photo to the CAP.
Your new pass will be posted to you as quickly as possible, but there may be a delay is a disability assessment is required.
What you can use your pass for
Your pass entitles you to:
- Free travel on all standard bus services in England after 9.30am on Monday to Friday and all day Saturday, Sunday and public holidays. Special night-time services and other special services may be excluded.
- Before 9.30am on Monday to Friday:
- travel for 50p when you get on at a stop within the boundary of Durham County Council
- ordinary fares normally apply when you get on anywhere else
- Travel on Durham City Park and Ride.
- Half-price travel on certain local train services:
- Chester-le-Street, Seaham or Horden to/from Newcastle or Middlesbrough (and any station in between)
- Bishop Auckland, Shildon, Newton Aycliffe or Heighington to/from Middlesbrough (and any station in between)
- Passenger Transport
- 03000 268 667
Our address is:
- Regeneration and Local Services
- Durham County Council
- County Hall
- County Durham
- United Kingdom
- DH1 5UQ