Apply for a disabled persons bus pass
If you have a disability, apply for a disabled persons bus pass to take advantage of free travel on buses anywhere in England and half fares on some local trains.
If your bus pass has an expiry date of 30 June 2022, we will replace it automatically a week or so before that date.
You only need to contact us if you no longer need the pass or if you have changed address in the last five years since your current pass was issued and you have not previously advised us of this.
What you need to apply
You will need:
- proof that you live in County Durham, such as a copy of a bank statement, utility bill or council tax letter
- proof of your condition or qualifying benefit
If you're not able to provide evidence of eligibility with your application, we will write to the health/social care professional you have nominated on your application form.
Apply for a bus pass
If you are unable to travel unaided, you may be entitled to a pass that enables a companion to travel free locally with you (bus travel only). To take advantage of this tick the 'bus pass with companion' box on the application form.
By post: Fill in theand send it to the address on the form, together with the appropriate proof of eligibility and a passport sized photograph.
Online: Scan or take a photo of your form and supporting documents on a smartphone/mobile device. You can then upload the form and documents using our document submission form. You must include your application form, your evidence and your photograph otherwise we will be unable to process your application.
Your new pass will be posted to you as quickly as possible, but there may be a delay is a disability assessment is required.
What you can use your pass for
Your pass entitles you to:
- free travel on all bus services in England
- between 9.30am and 11.00pm, Monday to Friday
- all day Saturday, Sunday and bank holidays (certain special night-time services are excluded)
- travel for 50p on journeys where you use a local bus (in County Durham)
- before 9.30am, Monday to Friday
- free travel on Durham City Park and Ride
- half price fares travel on certain local train services:
- Chester-le-Street or Seaham to/from Newcastle or Middlesbrough (and any station in between)
- Bishop Auckland, Shildon, Newton Aycliffe or Heighington to/from Middlesbrough (and any station in between)
- Passenger Transport
- 03000 268 667
Our address is:
- Regeneration and Local Services
- Durham County Council
- County Hall
- County Durham
- United Kingdom
- DH1 5UQ