Apply for an older person's bus pass
If you live in County Durham and have reached pension age, you can apply for your older person's bus pass. This gives you free travel on buses anywhere in England and half fares on some local trains.
If your Durham County Council issued bus pass for the England national concessionary travel scheme (ENCTS) expires on 30 June 2023 we will automatically send you a new one. However, if your address or name has changed since you received your current pass, please contact us.
If your details have not changed there is no need to do anything.
When you can apply for your bus pass
You will qualify for your bus pass when you reach state pension age. You can submit your application for your pass up to two weeks before the birthday at which you reach state pension age.
What you need to apply
You will need:
- proof that you live in County Durham, such as a copy of a bank statement, utility bill or council tax letter
- proof of your age, such as a copy of a birth certificate, driving licence, passport or pension book
- a passport sized photograph
Apply for a bus pass
- By post: Download, print and complete and send it to the address on the form along with your supporting documents.
- Online: Scan or take a photo of your form and supporting documents on a smartphone/mobile device. You can then upload the form and documents using our document submission form. You must include your application form, your evidence and your photograph otherwise we will be unable to process your application.
- In person: Take all your evidence to one of our customer access points (CAP). We will be able to take a photograph for you so there is no need to bring a photo to the CAP.
Your new pass will be posted to you as quickly as possible.
What you can use your pass for
Your pass entitles you to:
- Free travel on all standard bus services in England after 9.30am on Monday to Friday and all day Saturday, Sunday and public holidays. Special night-time services and other special services may be excluded.
- Before 9.30am on Monday to Friday:
- travel for 50p when you get on at a stop within the boundary of Durham County Council
- ordinary fares normally apply when you get on anywhere else
- Travel on Durham City Park and Ride.
- Half-price travel on certain local train services:
- Chester-le-Street, Seaham or Horden to/from Newcastle or Middlesbrough (and any station in between)
- Bishop Auckland, Shildon, Newton Aycliffe or Heighington to/from Middlesbrough (and any station in between)
Replacing an existing bus pass
If your pass is lost or stolen, or you have changed address, you can ask for a replacement bus pass.
- Passenger Transport
- 03000 268 667
Our address is:
- Regeneration and Local Services
- Durham County Council
- County Hall
- County Durham
- United Kingdom
- DH1 5UQ