Skip to content
  1. Do it online
  2. Login
  3. Have your say
  4. My Durham

For 1 October, our tips have now moved to their Winter opening hours.

Apply for a waste permit for household hazardous waste

If you take any chemicals (eg bleach), gloss or lead based paints or sprays, or asbestos to a HWRC (tip), you need a waste permit.

Apply for a waste permit online. A QR code will be sent to you which will be scanned at the tip from your mobile device or from a printout. If you  are printing your permit please print A4 and in black and white. Open up the permit to print it rather than printing straight from the browser.

You can also contact us if you prefer a paper copy. You will not get a permit straight away if you do this.

How to use your waste permit

  • The waste permit is only valid for the date you arrange it for.
  • The details of the waste on your permit must match what you bring. 
  • You can only apply for one permit at a time. 
  • An individual permit can include multiple items of hazardous, garden or mixed waste, but you must use a tip that can accept hazardous waste if you include it.

Permits are not issued for commercial waste (including waste from landlords) or waste from charities.

Tips that accept hazardous waste

Not all sites accept hazardous waste - the sites that do are listed below:

Visiting the site

Only certain types of vehicles can enter a HWRC. Download Icon for pdf Who needs a waste permit (PDF, 68.0kb)  which provides more information on whether your vehicle can enter the site. When you apply online, you must enter an accepted vehicle type to be able to apply for a permit.

  • A maximum limit of one tonne of waste applies to each permit.
  • The person whose name and address is on the permit should be present at the HWRC, even if someone else is driving. You may be asked for ID such as a driving licence or bank card.
  • There is no pedestrian access to HWRCs.

What counts as hazardous waste

You need a waste permit to dispose of chemicals, gloss and lead based paint and sprays or asbestos. You don't need a waste permit for electrical goods and batteries, these can be disposed of at any HWRC.

Hazardous waste limits and safety guidelines

Ensure your waste is safely packaged and doesn't exceed the limits by following the guidelines below. 


  • Chemicals must be kept in a secure container, with the original label where possible.
  • The name of the product should be identified when you apply for a permit.
  • You are limited to two litres of chemicals per permit.
  • Site staff cannot assist with handling chemicals.

Gloss and lead paints and sprays

  • Gloss and lead paints and sprays must be firmly secured to prevent leakages.
  • If it is still in a very liquid condition please use soil or sand to thicken the paint.


  • Asbestos must be double bagged or double wrapped and sealed.
  • We will only accept white cemented asbestos, with a limit of the equivalent of 4 bags of asbestos or downpipe per resident.
  • Blue or brown fibrous asbestos will be refused.
  • We can only accept asbestos no larger than 70cm (width) by 150cm (length) and 35cm (depth).
  • Site staff cannot assist with handling asbestos.
  • Please state on the application the quantity of asbestos you have for disposal, the sizes of the items and whether the asbestos is sheets, pipes or other such as rubble.
  • Please state where in your home the waste has come from. i.e. garage roof, fireplace etc...

Mercury thermometers

  • We will accept mercury thermometers in one piece. If they are broken they must be placed in a secure plastic tub.

Permit FAQs

Contact us
Customer Services
03000 26 0000
Related information