Skip to content
  1. Do it online
  2. Login
  3. Have your say
  4. My Durham

Due to essential maintenance, the following systems will be unavailable from 3.00pm on Friday 31 March until 8.00am Monday 3 April 2023: our online council tax, business rates and housing benefit services, and our welfare assistance form. You will also not be able to register to pay council tax online, make a change of address for council tax or cancel single person discount. You are still able to make a payment during this time. We apologise for any inconvenience this may cause.

Street works permit scheme

You may need a permit if you want to work on our roads or pavements.

What work needs a permit

You will need a street works permit if you are:

  • digging up (opening up) or resurfacing a street
  • digging up (opening up) a road or cycleway of traffic-sensitive streets at traffic sensitive times
  • needing temporary traffic control
  • needing a temporary traffic regulation order or notice, or the suspension of a pedestrian facility
  • reducing the lanes available on a road/verge/footpath of three or more lanes
  • reducing the width of the existing road/verge/footpath of a traffic-sensitive street at a traffic sensitive time

Icon for pdf Street Works Permit Scheme (PDF, 1.1mb)

Recommended street work hours

  • Monday-Friday: 8.00am to 6.00pm,
  • Saturday: 8.30am to 1.00pm
  • Sunday and bank holidays: no work to take place

Work to fix a danger or loss of service, may need to take place outside of these hours.

How to apply

You can make an application for a permit

  • through the online Street Manager system - contact us for more information

You may also have to fill in one or more of the following:

Why we have a permit scheme

All roadworks can reduce the amount of the space available to traffic and pedestrians. They can also cause problems for businesses and residents. The scale of disruption is different depending on the type of work and the size of the area. If not well managed, it can lead to unnecessary congestion, disruption and delays.

Our road and street works permit scheme is designed to:

  • reduce disruption on our roads
  • improve management of our roads
  • reduce delays to road and pathway users
  • promote a safer environment
  • reduce carbon emissions

What to do if you do not need a street works permit

You may still need to fill in a Section 50 licence.

Annual Reports

Below you can review our year end report.

Icon for pdf DCC Permit Scheme First Year Review (PDF, 1.2mb)