Get help to avoid becoming homeless
We offer free help if you are homeless, at risk of homelessness or simply want advice about your housing options.
You may find yourself at risk of being homeless for many reasons. Do not wait until you become homeless - contact us as as soon as possible - we may be able to prevent this.
How we can help you
Our Housing Solutions team will provide advice on a range of housing issues, from landlord disputes to homelessness. We'll look at all of your options, from supported accommodation to privately rented housing.
Helping you keep your home
If you're in danger of losing your home, we will work with you to prevent this happening. We can help if:
- you're fleeing domestic abuse
- facing possession proceedings
- being harassed or evicted by your landlord
- being asked to leave by friends or relatives.
- struggling to pay your rent or mortgage
you need help to live in your home
Finding a new home
What we must do
Within 56 days, we must prevent you from becoming homeless, or find an alternative solution for you. If we are not able to do this, we will start enquiries to confirm that you:
- are eligible
- are homeless or threatened with homelessness
- are in a priority need
- you have made yourself intentionally homelessness
- have a local connection to Durham.
If you are eligible, we may offer temporary accommodation while we carry out enquiries. Please remember we are responding to a crisis situation and therefore, may have to rely on temporary accommodation that may not be in an area of your choice, and smaller than your ideal requirement.
See Shelter for more information on the help we must provide.
If you are unhappy with our decision
If we reach a decision that you are not happy with, you can ask us to review the decision. We will tell you who you must contact, and when you must do this by. The person who carries out the review will not have been involved in your case previously.
- Armed Forces - support
- Broken down relationship
- Domestic abuse - support
- Care leavers
- Mental health support
- Harassed by neighbour or landlord
- Received notice from landlord
- Under 18 year olds
- Rent or mortgage arrears
- Support to help you live in your home
- Report a rough sleeper
- Duty to refer - information for professionals