Skip to content
  1. Do it online
  2. Login
  3. Have your say
  4. My Durham

Our online benefit claim and calculator will not be available between 7.00pm on Friday 21 January and 9.00pm on Saturday 22 January due to maintenance. We apologise for any inconvenience this may cause.

Get your care needs assessed

You may need help in your daily life because you're elderly and/or you have an illness or disability.


We are continuing to provide adult social care services during the Covid-19 pandemic. If you have a named worker, please contact them by telephone.

You can contact Social Care Direct or the Emergency Duty Team on 03000 267 979.

Updated information about our services is available on our  page.

To help you find the right care and support, you can:

  • Visit our Locate - care and support in County Durham website. You can browse the site to find a range of information and advice including organisations to help you live as independently as you can.
  • Contact Social Care Direct, where you will speak to a trained contact officer. They will ask you some questions about your situation and help guide you to help and support, and let you know if you are eligible for care and support from us.

Eligibility for care and support from us

The national eligibility criteria set a minimum threshold for adult care and support. The following information may help you understand eligibility for care and support.:

If you're not eligible

If your assessment shows that you are not eligible for support we will tell you about organisations who may be able to help you.

Financial support

Care and support services are not free to everyone. If you want to apply for help with the cost, you'll need to complete a financial assessment. Find out more about paying for your care and support.

Carer's assessments

If you a carer, you can get your needs assessed to help you get support for your caring role.

Contact us
First Contact/Social Care Direct
03000 267 979
0191 383 5752
Related information