Food law advice for businesses
If you are setting up a food business in County Durham we can provide you with advice and information to help you comply with food safety law.
As the Food Authority, we are responsible for enforcing all aspects of food safety law in County Durham.
The Food Safety Act 1990 and regulations made under it, make it an offence for anyone to sell, or process for sale, food that is harmful to health. Businesses are also required to ensure their activities are carried out in a hygienic way and that food is correctly labelled.
Running a safe food business
This information will help food businesses owners to set up and run a safe food business. It is for guidance only, and it is your responsibility as the Food Business Operator (FBO) to ensure that safe working practices are followed.
You can find more information about food safety and standards on the Food Standards Agency (FSA) website.
The following links will signpost you to further information which will help you comply with food safety requirements:
- General food law
- How to prepare for a food hygiene inspection
- Setting up a food business
- Registering a food business
- Business guidance
- Food hygiene for food business
- Food business operating from domestic premises or moveable food businesses
- Providing food at community and charity events
- Distance selling
- E.coli 0157 - guidance on disinfection and cleaning, cross-contamination, hand washing
- Food brokers
- Allergen guidance for food businesses
- Food waste and surplus food
- Report an issue to the Food Standards Agency
For any other queries on food safety please contact us.