Information gathering on youth vaping
The government is asking for feedback to identify how to reduce the number of under 18s accessing and using vape (ecigarette) products, while still making sure that adults can access them to help stop smoking. Help us to develop a County Durham response.
In the UK, vapes can be legally sold to anyone over the age of 18. The government encourages adult smokers to switch to vapes as they are substantially less harmful than smoking. However, vapes should not be used by people under the age of 18.
There is well established concern about the harms of vaping, specifically for younger people.
Over the last 10 years, use of vapes by children has been consistently low. However, recent data shows that regular vape use for 11 to 15 year olds has doubled from 2% in 2018 to 4% in 2021. The 2022 Action on Smoking and Health (ASH) report Use of e-cigarettes among young people in Great Britain also shows an increase in vaping among 11 to 17 year olds from 4% in 2020, before the first Covid-19 lockdown, to 7% in 2022.
What's happening now
The government are now gathering information from the public around youth vaping, on seven key themes:
- Building regulatory compliance: ensuring only adult smokers can access legally compliant vape products.
- The appeal of vape products: how the appearance and product characteristics of vapes may attract children.
- Marketing and promotion of vape products: how the marketing and promotion of vapes may attract children.
- The role of social media: the impact of social media on the uptake and use of vaping by children.
- Effective educational approaches to prevent the uptake of vaping by children.
- The impact of vapes on the environment, particularly disposable products.
- Understanding the vape market.
A County Durham response
We want to use this opportunity to give evidence and provide a combined response by gathering the views of residents and organisations in County Durham.
Have your say
- to take part in the County Durham reply , fill in our online survey about youth vaping
The survey closes for comments at 5.00pm on Tuesday 30 May 2023.
- to send your comments directly to the government, go to Gov.uk: youth vaping: call for evidence
The survey closes for comments on Tuesday 6 June 2023.
We will collate your comments and submit a County Durham response to the government by 6 June 2023.
- Public Health
- 03000 264 109
Our address is:
- County Hall
- Adult and Health Services
- County Durham
- United Kingdom
- DH1 5UJ