This page contains information about Sacriston Cemetery.
The first burial in Sacriston Cemetery took place in October 1924. The land originally belonged to the Ecclesiastical Commissioners for England and The Charlaw and Sacriston Collieries Co Ltd. It was transferred to the parish council of Witton Gilbert (which at the time included the village of Sacriston).
In 1937 responsibility for the cemetery passed to Sacriston Joint Burial Committee who remained responsible until 1976 when the burial function was transferred to Chester-le-Street District Council following a local government review. Chester-le-Street District Council continued to manage the cemetery until a further Local Government Review in 2009 when responsibility was transferred to us.
The cemetery has a Green Flag Award. These awards recognise well managed parks and open spaces for all to enjoy. The Green Flag Awards are the benchmark national standard for parks and green spaces in the UK.
Our cemeteries are open dawn to dusk for pedestrian access.
In partnership with
- Green Flag Awards