Green Flag Awards
Green flag awards recognise excellence and good practice in the management and development of parks and open spaces in England and Wales.
Ranging from parks to cemeteries, to countryside sites and crematoria, the awards reflect the high standards of maintenance needed to keep the sites looking good and also the involvement of local communities.
The 2020 assessment of our parks, crematoria and cemeteries resulted in 12 of our sites being awarded green flags:
- Blackhill and Consett Park
- Hardwick Park
- Chester-le-Street Riverside Park
- Bishop Auckland town recreation ground
- Wharton Park
- Annfield Plain Park
- Castleside Cemetery, Consett
- Moorside Cemetery, Consett
- Ropery Lane Cemetery, Chester-le-Street
- Sacriston Cemetery, Sacriston
- South Road Cemetery and Crematorium, Durham
- Mountsett Crematorium
The Green Flag award was launched in 1996 to recognise and reward the best green spaces in the country. The first awards were given in 1997 and many years later it continues to provide the benchmark against which our parks and green spaces are measured.
Judges look at criteria such as maintenance, conservation and community involvement as well as open spaces being welcoming, healthy, safe and secure.
In partnership with
- Green Flag Awards
- Customer Services
- 03000 26 0000