Skip to content
  1. Do it online
  2. Login
  3. Have your say
  4. My Durham

Our online benefit claim and calculator will not be available between 7.00pm on Friday 21 January and 9.00pm on Saturday 22 January due to maintenance. We apologise for any inconvenience this may cause.

The Health Secretary has set out the next steps in the fight against Coronavirus. See the press conference at Youtube: Coronavirus press conference (19 January 2022).

Due to the amount of previously postponed weddings which are now taking place we are extremely busy at the moment. It may take longer than usual for us to respond to you but please bear with us.

Where to get married

You can choose to get married in a church, register office or other licensed venues such as civic buildings or hotels.


There is no longer a legal limit on the number of attendees at civil partnerships or weddings.

However, to ensure that we are able to continue to deliver our service safely, the number of people who can attend a wedding and civil partnership at our register offices continues to be restricted and our staff will continue to maintain social distancing until further notice.

In line with the Prime Minister's announcement that England will move to 'Plan B' to slow the spread of the Omicron variant of coronavirus, face coverings must be worn in our register offices from Friday 10 December 2021. Face masks or face coverings are required for all staff and the general public with certain exemptions which include anyone with a health condition or disability, and those under the age of eleven.

You can contact our ceremony team on 03000 266 000 or email for any queries you may have. However, our phone lines continue to be very busy so please bear with us. 

Further guidance for small marriages and civil partnerships can be found at guidance for small marriages and civil partnerships.

Marrying in a register office

Every register office is different and usually has its own character. In County Durham, marriage facilities are located in the register offices at:

A registrar in each location will be happy to show you the ceremony room before making your choice of location.

See our Ceremony fees.

Marrying in a licensed venue

There are now venues, other than register offices or religious buildings where you can get married, for example civic buildings or hotels. See our Licensed venues for marriages and civil partnerships in County Durham. provides a list of approved premises for marriages and civil partnerships in England and Wales.

See our Ceremony fees.

Marrying in a church

If you are planning a church wedding, you must see the minister of the church in the registration district where you live. Unless your marriage is to be according to the rites and ceremonies of the Church of England or Wales, where banns are usually read, you will be required to give notice to the superintendent registrar in whose district you reside.

Usually you must live in the district where you plan to marry unless your place of worship is outside the district and you wish to marry there. You may also marry outside the district if there is no building of your religion in your district. In some cases a local registrar may need to attend the service. It is advisable that you check this and confirm the availability before you set a date.

Contact us
Registration Service
03000 266 000