Skip to content
  1. Do it online
  2. Login
  3. Have your say
  4. My Durham

To report a weather emergency, or if you are vulnerable and need help, call 03000 26 0000.

See our Disruptions, closures and warnings page for current road, school and library closures.

Welfare assistance scheme

Our welfare assistance scheme helps you get short term support, or help to live on your own - when you need it.

There are two types of help.

Daily living expenses

If your circumstances change unexpectedly, you can apply for help with your daily living expenses (for up to seven days). This includes:

  • food
  • baby milk and nappies
  • heating
  • travel
  • hygiene products
  • clothing (restrictions apply)

Settlement grant

A settlement grant will help you to stay in your home, or move back into housing, after living in supported or unsettled accommodation. For example if you're leaving care or you've been made homeless. This includes help towards:

  • beds and/or bedding
  • furniture
  • white goods (for example, cooker, fridge, washing machine)
  • kitchen equipment
  • floor coverings
  • curtains
  • storage and / or removal costs

How to apply

  • Alternatively, you can contact us by phone Monday to Thursday, from 8.30am to 5.00pm and Friday from 8.30am to 4.30pm (we are closed bank holidays and weekends).

What if you don't qualify?

If you don't qualify, we may still be able to guide you to organisations who can help - contact us for more information.

Contact us
Welfare assistance scheme
03000 267 900