Trusted trader schemes
If you're looking for a trustworthy trader to carry out work on your property or garden there are a number of approved trader schemes that can help.
The Government endorse the standards of the Trust Mark scheme, which is delivered by a number of member organisations that sit under the Trust Mark umbrella.
Other approved trader schemes can be found by searching the internet.
Remember the following when you're looking for someone to do some work:
- don't accept the services of uninvited doorstep callers
- don't pay up front for any work even if it's for materials
- do seek recommendations from friends and family
- do make sure that gas engineers and electricians are registered
- do try and use members of an approved trader scheme
- do ask to see a business card, ID card and get full contact details for the company
- do call the police or trading standards if you suspect that rogue traders are operating in your community
Report a rogue trader
Emergency incidents should be reported to Durham Constabulary emergency number - 999.
In the case of a non-emergency, rogue trader activity can be reported by calling the Consumer Helpline on 0808 223 1133 or police on 101.
We will continue to tackle rogue traders by investigating criminal allegations where it is suspected a trader has broken the law. Enforcement action will be taken where necessary.
Information for local businesses
If you're a local business who is a member of the scheme you should have received information from us about the closure. If not, or for any further queries, please contact us.