If you have a spare room, and want to help a vulnerable young person, you may be able to provide supported lodgings. You will be paid rent for the room you provide, as well as for the support you give.
A supported lodgings provider offers a safe, supportive and friendly home environment for young people at risk of becoming homeless or leaving care, aged between 16 and 25 years old. This can be short term or longer - for up to two years.
Who needs supported lodgings?
Some young people need support before they can live independently. This may be because they:
- can not live with their family
- have been fostered or in care
- have learning disabilities or mental health problems
- need a home and support for just a few days
- are an unaccompanied asylum seeker
Who can provide supported lodgings?
If you have a spare room in your home, and want to help a vulnerable young person, you can apply to provide supported lodgings. You could be:
- one person, a couple or a family
- working or unemployed
- married or unmarried
- straight or gay
You must be over 21 years, but there is no upper age limit, as long as you are fit and healthy.
Supported lodgings - what's expected?
You are expected to provide a key to your home, a room, access to a bathroom, kitchen and laundry facilities. Each young person is different, but they may need practical support. For example, help with:
- learning to cook, working a washing machine or attending appointments
- making their money last
- looking at their options - finding a job, education and training
They might just need you to sit down and listen to them. As a supported lodgings provider, you will:
- be able to relate to young people
- be supportive
- be able to communicate
- have interest and concern for the welfare of young people
- be committed to treating young people with respect, care and sensitivity
- be patient, compassionate, understanding and have a good sense of humour
Why become a supported lodgings provider?
- You are paid rent for the use of the room, and for the support you offer.
- You'll have the satisfaction of having helped a young person develop and look after themselves.
- You'll receive professional training and development.
- You'll receive our support and supervision throughout the placement.
If you are interested in becoming a supported lodgings provider please contact us.