Skip to content
  1. Do it online
  2. Login
  3. Have your say
  4. My Durham

Learning disability services

If you, or a friend or relative, has needs arising from a learning disability, this information may help.

If you live in the county, visit our Locate - care and support in County Durham website to find social care and support services and information.

Types of services available

Day services

There are lots of supervised activities available locally for people with learning disabilities. Find out more about Care services outside your home or visit Locate - care and support in County Durham.

Specialist teams

Learning disability teams can provide specialist support by joining up relevant expertise. Contact us at Social Care Direct to see whether there is an integrated service which can help meet your needs.


Find out about some of the housing solutions available including living at home, independently or in care. If you need more information or advice contact us at our learning disability housing options team.

Durham Shared Lives

Shared Lives offers short term, long term and emergency support for adults with learning disabilities in the home of a Shared Lives Provider. 

Respite care

Hawthorn House, just outside Durham City, provides short break / respite opportunities for adults with learning disabilities, including those with complex needs. Families and carers can also get a much needed break from their responsibilities. See Hawthorn House for further information.

The People's Parliament (County Durham)

The County Durham Learning Disabilities Parliament (also known as the People's Parliament County Durham) comprises of people who have an interest in the issues that affect people with a learning disability. Informal meetings for members are held at Framwellgate Moor Community Centre in Durham every fortnight between 10.00am - 12 noon on Wednesdays.

Share this page

Share this page on Facebook Share this page on Facebook Share this page on Twitter Share this page on Twitter