Skip to content
  1. Do it online
  2. Login
  3. Have your say
  4. My Durham

We will be carrying out essential maintenance on our website on Tuesday 23 April 2024 between the hours of 8.00am and 10.30am. During this time, the website may experience technical issues. We apologise for any inconvenience caused.

Money off Council Tax for carers

If you are a carer, you may be entitled to a Council Tax discount.

There are two types of carers who may be entitled to receive a discount on Council Tax

  • Carers employed to provide care
  • Carers living with the person they provide care for

Carers employed to provide care

To qualify for this discount your carers must:

  • live in the property of the person you provide care for
  • provide care for at least 24 hours per week
  • receive no more than £44 per week for providing this care

Carers living with the person they provide care for

To qualify for this discount, you must:

  • Provide care and support for someone who lives with you, for at least 35 hours per week. This person must not be your partner or spouse, or your child (aged under 18 years)
  • Care for someone who is entitled to one of  the following benefits:
    • Attendance Allowance
    • the middle or higher rate of the care component of Disability Living Allowance (DLA)
    • the standard or enhanced rate of the daily living component of Personal Independence Payment (PIP)
    • an increase in the rate of Disablement Allowance
    • an increase in a constant Attendance Allowance

Change in circumstances

If your circumstances change, you must inform us immediately as failure to do so could result in financial penalties. See our Tell us you've moved house or had a change in circumstances page for more information.