Skip to content
  1. Do it online
  2. Login
  3. Have your say
  4. My Durham

The following systems will be unavailable from 2.00pm on Thursday 29 February until 7.30am on Tuesday 5 March: our online Council Tax, business rates and housing benefit services, and our welfare assistance form. We apologise for any inconvenience this may cause.

Money off Council Tax for care leavers

If you're a care leaver under the age of 25 who is paying Council Tax or living with someone who pays Council Tax, we may be able to reduce the amount you pay.

If you're currently struggling to pay your bills, please see our Help with your money section.

To find out if you qualify please complete the Icon for pdf application form (PDF, 130.9kb)  and:

  • contact us to return it by email or post
  • return it to your Young Person's Advisor (YPA)

If you have any questions, contact us or speak to your YPA.

If you qualify for a reduction it will be automatically paid to the relevant Council Tax account.

Will I qualify?

To qualify for a reduction you must be:

  • a care leaver under 25 years old
  • live in County Durham
  • named on the Council Tax bill

The reduction will stop on your 25th birthday or if the policy is revised.

What will I pay?

If you are the only person paying the Council Tax bill, you will not have to pay any Council Tax.

If you live with someone else, the Council Tax bill will be reduced to 50%.