Building control and regulations guidance
The building control web pages offer information about how we can assist you in all functions associated with building control.
Information about the building regulations and further guidance you may find useful.
Pre-submission consultation service
A pre-submission consultation can provide you with all the information needed to help you through the approval and building process. This free consultation:
- can reduce project costs
- avoid delays
- create awareness of building constraints
- is impartial and provides for flexible payment of fees and charges
- can include liaison with other council departments
Contact us to arrange a face to face meeting or phone call with a member of our team.
Additional building control functions
We are responsible for many functions, of which the principle one is ensuring the health and safety of people in and around buildings by the implementation of The Building Act 1984 and associated legislation.
- Dangerous structures
- Demolition notice and advice
- Health and Safety Executive (HSE): health and safety in the construction industry
- Sports ground safety certificates
Additional information sources and useful links
- Local Authority Building Control
- Submit a plan
- Health and Safety Executive (HSE)
- Planning Portal
- County Durham and Darlington Fire and Rescue Service
- Federation of Master Builders (FMB)
- Planning Portal: The Party Wall etc Act 1996
- Northumbrian Water
- English Heritage: Listed Buildings Register
- Electrical safety guidance
- Find a registered electrician
Our service standards
We have achieved the following accreditation and are committed to the delivery of a customer focused service:
We are committed to providing a quality service:
The Local Performance Indicators identify the performance standard of our Building Control Service.
- Building Control
- 03000 262 832
Our address is:
- Room G10-G16
- County Hall
- County Durham
- United Kingdom
- DH1 5UL