Find and comment on planning applications
Search for planning applications, appeals and enforcements online by keyword, application reference, postcode or by a single line of an address.
Go to our County Durham online planning application system
Something not working? Email us with 'Public Access' in the subject line.
Read theif you need any help in using the system.
Use the system to:
- search for planning applications
- view the current status of any application (including the decision if it's been made) and any comments or objections received
Additional functions if you register
Use the system to:
- post comments or objections online or directly to the case officer, if the consultation period is open
- receive email notifications of new planning applications based on your search criteria.
- track individual application progress
- obtain information about applications in individual Wards or Parishes
Publishing your comments (representations)
We must make representations about planning applications available for public inspection, in line with the Local Government (Access to Information) Act 1985. The Data Protection Act 1998 allows for us to publish this information. This means that we can not treat representations as confidential. We will remove (redact) email addresses, telephone numbers and signatures before publishing them online, but your name and postal address will not be removed. Please do not include other personal or sensitive data within your representations.
Your name and postal address is crucial so that we can establish who and where representations have come from, so comments can be given full weight and for transparency. If you do not want your name and address to be published you should submit your representation on an anonymous basis and without including such details. However, please note that any anonymous representations will be given little or no weight in the decision making process.
Discriminatory, offensive or defamatory representations
Only comments made on material planning grounds will be taken into consideration when assessing a planning application. If we receive comments that are considered discriminatory, offensive or defamatory, these remarks will not be included in any reports or published here. A discriminatory representation is one which could include words, phrases or comments which are likely to:
- be offensive to a particular group
- be abusive, insulting or threatening
- apply pressure to discriminate
- stir up hatred or contempt of a particular part of the community
Representations should also not include any other offensive material or content which could be considered defamatory. Any discriminatory, offensive or defamatory representations may be returned to you with a request that they be resubmitted containing only material planning considerations. We reserve the right to not publish online comments or parts of comments which are not considered suitable for public view.
Other ways to comment
You can comment:
- contact us by email or in writing (other methods not accepted)
- at a planning committee - find out more in the
When making an objection, remember that we are only able to take certain things into account, such as:
- possible conflicts with planning policies for the area
- the height of a proposed building and whether it would overshadow neighbouring properties to an unreasonable extent
- an increase in noise, disturbance or in the level of traffic that would be harmful - this relates to the proposal itself not to building works
- the appearance of a proposed building in relation to neighbours and the area
Other issues such as potential devaluation of property, loss of a view or suitability of an applicant are not considered to be valid reasons.
A full list of what can and cannot be taken into account when making a planning decision is available in thedocument.
Decisions and appeals
Find out how we make planning decisions and how to appeal if you disagree with the outcome or the process to decide it.
- 03000 262 830
Our address is:
- County Hall
- County Durham
- United Kingdom
- DH1 5UL