Supported Housing Improvement Programme (SHIP)
We have been awarded £578,795 from the Department for Levelling Up, Housing and Communities (DLUHC) to improve the standards of support and accommodation for those living in non-commissioned supported housing.
What is supported housing?
In supported housing, accommodation is provided alongside support and supervision to help people live as independently as possible in the community. This includes:
- individuals at risk of or who have experienced homelessness
- people recovering from drug or alcohol dependence
- people with experience of the criminal justice system
- young people with a support need (such as care leavers or teenage parents)
- people with mental ill health
- people fleeing domestic abuse
Supported housing can be both commissioned, which are services provided on behalf of the Council through an agreement and non-commissioned. The Supported Housing Improvement Programme (SHIP) is looking at those non-commissioned supported housing providers.
In County Durham there are currently 19 providers of non-commissioned supported housing. These providers manage 522 properties providing supported accommodation for around 650 people.
The funding which runs up until March 2025 will enable the Council to increase its oversight and involvement in the non-commissioned supported housing sector. A specialist team has been created and the proposed outcomes of the programme are:
- Improved property and management standards of supported accommodation
- Improved knowledge to better manage supply
- Quality support tailored to meet individual tenant needs
- Value for money for both providers, tenants and the council
- Upskilling of the providers' workforce
- Improved engagement and support to service users from the council
- Joint production of a supported accommodation charter to help establish and maintain high standards
If you are a new supported housing provider, or a provider considering expanding supported housing in County Durham contact us to discuss the local need.
- Supported Housing Improvement Programme