Skip to content
  1. Do it online
  2. Login
  3. Have your say
  4. My Durham

How to comply with minimum efficiency standards (EPC band E)

Information for landlords of privately rented properties on how to comply with The Energy Efficiency (Private Rented Property) (England and Wales) Regulations 2015.

If you're a landlord and you rent out a property for domestic use, unless you have an exemption, your property must be at a minimum EPC band E rating. Failure to comply may result in a fine of up to £4,000.

Search the PRS register to Find properties that are registered as exempt from the minimum standard of energy efficiency or see information about Private rented sector minimum energy efficiency standard exemptions.

When you need to take action

As of 1 April 2020, you can no longer let or continue to let properties covered by the Minimum Energy Efficiency Standards (MEES) Regulations if they have an EPC rating below E, unless they have a valid exemption in place.

If you already have a tenant in your property

If you're currently letting a property with an EPC rating of F or G and you haven't already taken action, you must improve the property's rating to E immediately, or register an exemption for your property.

If you're planning to let your property

If you're planning to let a property with an EPC rating of F or G, before you rent your property to a new tenant you must either:

If you have an empty property and have no plans to let

If your property is currently empty, and you are not planning to let it, you don't need to take any action to improve its rating until you decide to let it again.

How to improve your property's rating to EPC rating

See Minimum energy efficiency standard for domestic private rented property - landlord guidance which includes advice on how to improve your property's rating to EPC rating to E.

Maximum amount you're expected to spend

In line with current regulations, you'll not be required to spend more than £3,500 (including VAT) on work required to improve your property's rating to E. 

If you cannot improve your property to EPC E for £3,500 or less, make all the improvements which can be made up to that amount, then register an exemption for your property (under 'all improvements made' exemption). 

What happens if you do not comply with the regulations

If you're renting out a property with an EPC of F or G, we will write to you to advise you that your property does not meet the minimum energy efficiency standard and are therefore committing a breach under the Minimum Energy Efficiency Standards (MEES) Regulations.

The action we take and the outcome depends on several factors - see Failing to comply with minimum efficiency standards - how we calculate fines for more information.

Contact us
Trading Standards
03000 261 016
Our address is:
  • Community Protection
  • PO Box 617
  • Durham
  • County Durham
  • United Kingdom
  • DH1 9HZ

Private Sector Housing Advice Line
03000 268 000
Our address is:
  • Customer Access Point
  • St John's Square
  • Sophia Street
  • Seaham
  • County Durham
  • United Kingdom
  • SR7 7JE