Skip to content
  1. Do it online
  2. Login
  3. Have your say
  4. My Durham

We will be carrying out essential maintenance on our website on Tuesday 23 April 2024 between the hours of 8.00am and 10.30am. During this time, the website may experience technical issues. We apologise for any inconvenience caused.

Definitive map modification orders or claims

You can apply to us to change the definitive map and statement if you believe the map is incorrect.

The Wildlife and Countryside Act 1981 allows anyone to apply to make an order. These are called Definitive Map Modification Orders (DMMOs) and can be made if evidence is found to show that:

  • a route that should be shown isn't shown
  • a route that is shown shouldn't be on the definitive map
  • a route is shown as having the wrong status (for example, shown as a footpath instead of bridleway)
  • a route is shown on the wrong line
  • a route should be more precisely defined (for example, have its width recorded)

Evidence may be historical (for example, old maps, tithe plans, enclosure awards) and/or user evidence, where the public have been using the route uninterrupted for more than 20 years. 

Please contact us if you wish to discuss an issue further and for an information pack about making an application.

Contact us
Contact Access and Rights of Way
03000 265 342
Our address is:
  • Neighbourhoods and Climate Change
  • Durham County Council
  • St Johns Road
  • Meadowfield
  • County Durham
  • United Kingdom
  • DH7 8XQ