Skip to content
  1. Do it online
  2. Login
  3. Have your say
  4. My Durham

Disabled Students' Allowances (DSA)

If you are a student in higher education, you can apply for a Disabled Students' Allowance (DSA) to cover some of the extra costs you have because of a mental health problem, long term illness or any other disability.

The support you get depends on your individual needs and not on income. You can get the allowances on top of your other student finance.

You will not need to repay DSA.

If you're a part-time student your 'course intensity' can affect how much you get. 

You can get help with the costs of:

  • specialist equipment, like computer software
  • non-medical helpers, like a note-taker or reader
  • extra travel costs you have to pay because of your disability
  • other costs, like photocopying

The current rates, application forms and guides are published on Help if you're a student with a learning difficulty, health problem or disability.

Share this page

Share this page on Facebook Share this page on Facebook Share this page on Twitter Share this page on Twitter