Skip to content
  1. Do it online
  2. Login
  3. Have your say
  4. My Durham

We will be carrying out essential maintenance on our website on Tuesday 23 April 2024 between the hours of 8.00am and 10.30am. During this time, the website may experience technical issues. We apologise for any inconvenience caused.

Can I take my child on holiday during term-time?

No, you cannot take your child out of school during term-time unless there are exceptional circumstances.

A 'low-cost holiday' is not an exceptional circumstance.

Can I request permission to take my child out of school during term-time?

If you believe your circumstances are exceptional, you should submit an application for leave of absence to the head teacher of your child's school. Applications should be made as far in advance as possible. It is the school's decision as to whether or not your circumstances are to be considered exceptional.

There is more information in the Icon for pdf Holidays in term time (PDF, 629.9kb)  leaflet.

What will happen if I take my child out of school without permission?

If you take your child out of school without the school's permission it will be recorded as unauthorised absence.

You could receive a fine (Fixed Penalty Notice) and your child's Record of Achievement will be affected

Fines are £60 for each child and are issued to each parent. The fines must be paid within 21 days of being issued otherwise the fines will double and will need to be paid within 28 days of being issued. See the Icon for pdf Factsheet: Penalty notices to address poor attendance at school (PDF, 114.7kb)  for more information.

Contact us
Contact School attendance (legal action enquiries)
03000 265 526/527

Contact Family hubs
03000 261 111