Apply to change school during the school year
If you're moving house, moving into County Durham, or have another reason for wanting to change schools, the information on this page will help.
Apply for a primary school change because of a house move
Apply for a change of primary school because you are moving house
Please note, this form is not for a primary school transfer for any other reason other than a house move and is not for a secondary school transfer.
Once your application has been received, we'll contact you within 10 school days to let you know the outcome.
Secondary school transfers and primary school transfers for reasons other than a house move
Before applying to move secondary schools or primary schools for any reason other than a house move, please read the contact us for an application form.. Once you have read this, if you still want to move schools, you should
You will need to tell us if the application is for a transfer to primary or secondary school so that we can make sure we send you the correct form. You will need to complete Sections A-G, and then forward the whole form to your child's current school (or most recent previous school if they are not currently attending) for them to complete Section H. Once completed, you can email it to email@example.com. Once your application has been received, we'll contact you within 10 school days to let you know the outcome.
If your child has a statement of Special Educational Needs (SEN) or an Education, Health and Care Plan please contact the SEND team on 03000 265878 for further advice.
Your child will be expected to start at their new school within two school weeks of the offer being made. If there are going to be significant delays in your child starting, we may have to remove the offer. In such instances, you will need to reapply, and it may be the case that there is no longer a place that can be offered at your preferred school.
If we cannot offer you a place at your chosen school we will add your child's name to the school's waiting list if you want us to. You can also Appeal against the offer of a school place decision. Please note, some schools are their own admissions authority and will need to be contacted directly for waiting lists and appeals. We can tell you if this is the case with any of the schools you have applied for.
Travel to school following a change of school
If the school is now not your nearest suitable school, you may be affected by our home to school transport policies.
Applying for a school place for the start of a school year
If your child is due to start primary or secondary school, you should check Timelines and important dates for primary school applications or Timelines and important dates for secondary school applications for when school place applications open.
Unfortunately, children lose places every year due to parents giving false information on their application forms, this includes appeal forms. We therefore reserve the right to seek proof of address. We will withdraw an offer of a school place if it was obtained through a fraudulent or intentionally misleading application.
Parents will be asked to sign a declaration to state that you:
- have read, understood and agree to abide by the conditions as set out on Primary school places or Secondary school places.
- confirm that you have parental responsibility for the child (or have care and control of the child), and in seeking to apply for your child a school place, you have no knowledge of any opposition to this application from any other person who has parental responsibility for the child. (If applicable, you must inform us of the individual who opposes the transfer and supply their contact details)
- will contact us immediately to let us know of any change of address details after the submission of your child's application
- understand that your child's school place can be withdrawn even if he/she has started at the school if the place was fraudulently obtained
- agree and consent to us checking the details you have provided on your child's application against Council Tax, Electoral Registration and other council records to confirm that your child is resident at the address in Section A
- agree and consent to us sharing your data with other agencies, where it is necessary to do so and where the law allows, in accordance with the Data Protection Act 1998 (see our Privacy notices and data protection page)
- understand that if you have provided information that is incorrect or incomplete, you may be investigated and action may be taken against you (including court action)
- School places and admissions
- 03000 265 896
Our address is:
- School Places and Admissions
- Children and Young People's Services
- Green Lane
- County Durham
- United Kingdom
- DL16 6JQ