Skip to content
  1. Do it online
  2. Login
  3. Have your say
  4. My Durham

Due to essential maintenance, the following systems will be unavailable from 6.00pm on Monday 2 October until 8.00am on Tuesday 3 October: our online council tax, business rates and housing benefit services, and our welfare assistance form. You will also not be able to register to pay council tax online, make a change of address for council tax or cancel single person discount. You are still able to make a payment during this time. We apologise for any inconvenience this may cause.

Temporary Event Notices (TENs)

If you want to hold a licensable activity at premises in County Durham that are not licensed, or hold activities which an existing licence does not allow, you must apply for a temporary event notice at least ten working days before the proposed event.

If the premises where the event is to be held is in areas governed by two or more local authorities notices must be given to each.

This is a requirement of the Licensing Act 2003 (Permitted Temporary Activities) (Notices) Regulations 2005.

Unless you submit an electronic notice, you must also give a copy of the notice to the police and environmental health no later than ten working days before the proposed event.

Please note that the ten working days do not include Saturdays, Sundays, Bank Holidays, the day the Temporary Event Notice (TEN) is submitted or the (first) day of the proposed event.

Examples of the type of events that need a TEN include:

  • Selling alcohol at a school fête.
  • Providing live music at a venue where the premises licence only permits recorded music.
  • Staying open to supply hot food after 11.00pm on a special occasion e.g. New Year's Eve.
  • Selling alcohol after the hours allowed by a premises licence.
  • An amateur dramatics group putting on a play in an unlicensed premises.

Information required in a temporary event notice

A TEN must contain:

  • a statement confirming that it is a condition of using the premises that the supplies are made under the premises user's authority (if alcohol is to be supplied).
  • a statement relating to the following matters:
    • details of any licensable activities to be carried out at the event
    • the event period
    • the times when during that period the licensable activities will take place
    • the maximum number of people proposed to be allowed on the premises

The TEN form provides space for you to provide this information - contact us to submit a Notice, either online or by post.

Eligibility criteria

You must be over the age of 18 years to give a Temporary Event Notice to us and the event must be taking place in County Durham. The notice must be given to us at least ten working days before the event is due to take place. 

Please note that the ten working days do not include Saturdays, Sundays, Bank Holidays, the day the TEN is submitted or the (first) day of the proposed event.

Restrictions on TENs are as follows:

  • Your event must involve no more than 499 people at any one time and last no more than 168 hours or seven days with a minimum of 24 hours between events.
  • You can give a maximum of five TENs per year. If you are a personal licence holder, you can give a maximum of 50 TENs per year.
  • A maximum of 20 TENs may be given in a calendar year for any particular premises, subject to an overall limit of no more than 26 days in total. (This is only temporary for the duration of 2022 and 2023)
  • Restrictions apply where the premises user is an "associated person" of someone who has already given a TEN, including spouses, close relations, agents and employees and their spouses. "Spouse" includes someone who lives with the person giving the notice.

If an event/activity falls outside of these restrictions, you will need a premises licence.

Applicable fees

The fee for submission of a Temporary Event Notice is £21 (per notice). This fee is non-refundable and you are therefore advised to check the TEN has been completed correctly, and that it complies with the statutory notice period required, before it is submitted.

Notice evaluation process

We will send an acknowledgement of the TEN within two working days and return to the premises user.

Where your notice has been submitted electronically, we will forward a copy to the chief officer of the local police department and to the environmental health department. Please note that in all other cases it is your responsibility to take this action no later than ten working days* before the event period.

* Please note that the ten working days do not include Saturdays, Sundays, Bank Holidays, the day the TEN is submitted or the (first) day of the proposed event.

The local police contact details are: 
Alcohol Harm Reduction Unit
Durham Constabulary
Annand House
John Street North

The environmental health contact is:
Environmental Health Authority
Durham County Council
EHCP (Pollution Control)
PO Box 617

Late temporary event notices

Late TENs are intended to be used by premises users where situations happen outside their control, for example, a change in venue at short notice. They should not be used except for exceptional circumstances.

Late TENs can be submitted to the licensing authority up to five working days but no earlier than nine working days before the event takes place. Premises users must also send a copy to the police and environmental health unless given electronically.

Please note a late TEN submitted less than five days before the event will be returned as void and activities applied for will not be authorised.

Personal licence holders can have ten late TENs per calendar year and non-personal licence holders can have two late TENs per calendar year. These count towards the total number of TENs allowed (50 for personal licence holders and five for non-personal licence holders)

If the number of TENs you seek in a year exceeds the limits specified under 'eligibility criteria', the licensing authority will serve you with a counter notice prohibiting the event from taking place. This will be served at least 24 hours before the event.

The police/environmental health may make objections to the event taking place. See 'objection notices' for details.

Objection notices

The chief officer of police or an officer from the environmental health department of the council who receives a notice and believes that the event would undermine any of the licensing objectives can serve an objection notice on the licensing authority and the premises user. This notice must be served within three working days starting the next working day after receipt of the temporary event notice.

The licensing authority must hold a hearing if an objection notice is served. A decision must be made at least 24 hours before the beginning of the event.

The chief officer of police or an officer from the environmental health department may modify the TEN with the consent of the premises user. In such a case an objection notice will be deemed to have been withdrawn and a modified TEN form will be issued to the premises user.

Implied granting of licence ('tacit consent')

If you have not heard from us by the end of the target completion period we specify for dealing with your application, you have the legal right to act as though your licence has been granted. This is known as 'tacit consent'. 

Our target completion period for processing a correctly completed application is ten working days. We aim to acknowledge your application within two working days of receipt. Please contact us if you have not received acknowledgement within five working days.

Apply online

Premises user redress

If a TEN is refused at a hearing the premises user may appeal against the decision. Appeals must be made to the local magistrates' court within 21 days. An appeal may not be brought later than five working days from the day of the planned event. For further advice and guidance, please contact our Licensing Team using the details provided.

Consumer complaint

We would always advise that in the event of a complaint the first contact is made with the trader by you - preferably in the form a letter (with proof of delivery). If that has not worked, Citizens Advice Consumer Service will give you advice. From outside the UK contact the UK European Consumer Centre.

Other redress

If a licensing authority decides to allow a TEN where an objection notice is received by either the chief officer of police or officer of the environmental health department, the police or environmental health can appeal the decision. Appeals must be made to the local Magistrates' court within 21 days. An appeal may not be brought later than five working days from the day of the planned event.

EUGO logo

In partnership with

  • EUGO