Strategic Cycling and Walking Delivery Plan 2019-2029
The plan sets the direction for our approach to cycling and walking for travel for the next ten years.
Cycling and walking help you get in shape, stay healthy and travel cheaply. They are great ways to travel to school, work or the shops.
Getting more people to cycle and walk has benefits for everyone. By reducing car traffic, improving air quality, creating more spending power and encouraging healthier lifestyles, cycling and walking can help County Durham become healthier, happier, wealthier, more equitable and vibrant.
We want to make cycling and walking part of Durham's culture and to make them safe, affordable, enjoyable, everyday modes of transport for everyone.
We hope to:
- plan and provide high quality cycling and walking networks that are safe and usable for more people.
- manage and protect cycling and walking networks to ensure quality of experience for users.
- encourage and enable greater participation in cycling and walking across all demographic groups
The delivery plan sets out our goals to help more people experience the benefits of cycling and walking. It will deliver local and regional plans and policies which aim to reduce the reliance on car travel and create confident cycling and walking communities. Key areas include:
- Durham to be widely recognised as a cycling and walking friendly County
- Durham has high quality cycling and walking networks that are safe, accessible, well maintained, integrated, signed, recorded and promoted
- more people, especially women, children and older people are cycling and walking for everyday journeys
- the quality of people's lives, their fitness, health and wellbeing are improved
The plan documents:
- Sustainable Travel Officer
- 03000 265 311
Our address is:
- Regeneration and Economic Development
- County Hall
- County Durham
- United Kingdom
- DH1 5UQ