Skip to content
  1. Do it online
  2. Login
  3. Have your say
  4. My Durham

There is currently a problem with our image galleries. We are working to get them fixed. We apologise for any inconvenience this may cause.

Flooding, road drains and gullies

If you spot a flooded road or blocked drain please report it to us.

Report a blocked drain or gully 

We are responsible for road drains and gullies. These are on the road, where the road meets the pavement and have a metal grid as a cover.

Gully Cleansing Transcript (PDF) [80KB]

Report flooding on a road or pathway - we need to know what the problem is and where. Bear in mind, it's normal for standing water to be visible in the drain. On its own, this does not indicate a blockage.

Report other types of flooding

We're not responsible for public sewers, raw sewers and main river related issues. See below a list of who to contact to report a flood.

Sewers and burst water mains

Contact Northumbrian Water to report sewer flooding or burst water mains.

Flooding from a main river

Contact the Environment Agency to report flooding from a main river (for example, River Tees or Derwent).

Flooding from a watercourse, other than a main river

A watercourse, other than a main river, such as a brook, stream or river is the responsibility of the person who owns the land that the watercourse is on or near. This person is the riparian owner.

Riparian owners have certain legal rights and responsibilities, including a duty to keep the watercourse clear of any obstruction (see Environment Agency guide to owning a watercourse).

Share this page

Share this page on Facebook Share this page on Facebook Share this page on Twitter Share this page on Twitter