Freedom of Information publication scheme
The publication scheme, detailed on this page, has been prepared and approved by the Information Commissioner. It may be adopted without modification by any public authority without further approval and will be valid until further notice.
The scheme commits us to make information available to the public as part of our normal business activities. The information covered is included in the classes of information mentioned below, where this information is held by the authority. Additional assistance is provided to the definition of these classes in sector specific guidance manuals issued by the Information Commissioner.
The scheme commits us:
- To proactively publish or otherwise make available as a matter of routine, information, including environmental information, which is held by the authority and falls within the classifications below.
- To specify the information which is held by the authority and falls within the classifications below.
- To proactively publish or otherwise make available as a matter of routine, information in line with the statements contained within this scheme.
- To produce and publish the methods by which the specific information is made routinely available so that it can be easily identified and accessed by members of the public.
- To review and update on a regular basis the information the authority makes available under this scheme.
- To produce a schedule of any fees charged for access to information which is made proactively available.
- To make this publication scheme available to the public.
Our publication scheme is split into seven classes of information that cover the areas where we publish information. In developing our scheme we have followed the model scheme required by the Information Commissioner's Office. We hope that you find the scheme useful. If you have any suggestion on how it can be improved please contact us.
Classes of information
Who we are and what we do
Information about our organisation such as structures, where our services are located and the contacts for the various sites and services we provide.
What we spend and how we spend it
Financial information about us covering information about projected and actual income and expenditure, tendering, procurement, contracts and financial audit.
What our priorities are and how we are doing
Information relating to strategies and plans, performance indicators, audits, inspections and reviews of service.
How we make decisions
A description of our decision making process and information relating to the records of our consultations and decisions.
Our policies and procedures
Current written protocols as well as our policies and procedures for delivering our services and responsibilities.
Lists and registers
Our list of information held in public registers required by law and other lists and registers relating to the functions of the authority.
The services we offer
Information on the services we provide, advice and guidance, booklets and leaflets, transactions and media releases.
The classes of information will not generally include:
- Information the disclosure of which is prevented by law, or exempt under the Freedom of Information Act, or is otherwise properly considered to be protected from disclosure.
- Information in draft form.
- Information that is no longer readily available as it is contained in files that have been placed in archive storage, or is difficult to access for similar reasons.
The method by which information published under this scheme will be made available
We will indicate clearly to the public what information is covered by this scheme and how it can be obtained.
Where it is within the capability of a public authority, information will be provided on a website. Where it is impracticable to make information available on a website or when an individual does not wish to access the information by the website, a public authority will indicate how information can be obtained by other means and provide it by those means.
In exceptional circumstances some information may be available only by viewing in person. Where this manner is specified, contact details will be provided. An appointment to view the information will be arranged within a reasonable timescale.
Information will be provided in the language in which it is held or in such other language that is legally required. Where an authority is legally required to translate any information, it will do so.
Obligations under disability and discrimination legislation and any other legislation to provide information in other forms and formats will be adhered to when providing information in accordance with this scheme.
Charges which may be made for information published under this scheme
The purpose of this scheme is to make the maximum amount of information readily available at minimum inconvenience and cost to the public. Charges made by the authority for routinely published material will be justified and transparent and kept to a minimum.
Material which is published and accessed on a website will be provided free of charge.
Charges may be made for information subject to a charging regime specified by Parliament.
Charges may be made for actual disbursements incurred such as:
- postage and packaging
- the costs directly incurred as a result of viewing information.
Charges may also be made for information provided under this scheme where they are legally authorised, they are in all the circumstances, including the general principles of the right of access to information held by public authorities, justified and are in accordance with a published schedule or schedules of fees which is readily available to the public.
If a charge is to be made, confirmation of the payment due will be given before the information is provided. Payment may be requested prior to provision of the information.
Information held by a public authority that is not published under this scheme can be requested in writing, when its provision will be considered in accordance with the provisions of the Freedom of Information Act. See our Freedom of Information and Environmental Information Regulation page for how to do this.
- Freedom of Information
- Freedom of Information
- 03000 268 035
Our address is:
- Transformation and Partnerships
- Durham County Council
- County Hall
- County Durham
- United Kingdom
- DH1 5UF