Skip to content
  1. Do it online
  2. Login
  3. Have your say
  4. My Durham

Apply for a temporary road closure for an event

If you are planning an event that affects a road, pathway or public right of way, you need to send us a TRO/RC 03 application form.

Icon for pdf Temporary road closure for event form (PDF, 154.7kb) : applications should be made at least three months in advance of the event. There is a fixed fee per closure of £306 which may be waived for registered charities, not for profit organisations or remembrance day and official celebration events.

The form helps us and the police decide whether we can support your event. We will send you an invoice if you need to pay the fee.

Types of event covered

Any event that needs a road to be closed is covered:

  • events held in a single community eg carnivals, fairs, processions, markets and street parties, fall under the Town Police Clauses Act 1847
  • sporting events, events covering several communities, events on public rights of way, events needing mandatory traffic controls (eg no left/right turns), eg fun runs, cycle events and car rallies, fall under the Road Traffic Regulation (Special Events) Act 1984/94

Access during the event

Access for emergency vehicles must be maintained at all times, and events on public transport routes should consider what effect it will have on bus timetables, together with what routes the buses would take during the closure. You should also consider the effect the event may have on nearby houses and businesses.

You should do a risk assessment and may need to register your event through our events safety process.

Traffic management plan

In order for a temporary road closure notice to be approved, you must use an approved traffic management company to produce a traffic management plan to indicate how traffic flows will be maintained. A list of approved companies is included at the end of the application form. The traffic management plan would normally include details about advance warning signs (both in the week(s) preceding the event and on the day). The signs should be in accordance with Chapter 8 of the Traffic Sign Manual (ie of the correct material, coating, colour and size of wording). The traffic management details should be submitted with the application.

Public Rights of Way

If a closure is required on a public right of way, please contact us at Access and Rights of Way.

Further help

If you are unsure of which form you require, or for any other queries relating to these forms, please contact us at Customer Services.

Contact us
Customer Services
03000 26 0000

Access and Rights of Way
03000 265 342
Our address is:
  • Regeneration and Economic Development
  • Durham County Hall
  • Durham
  • County Durham
  • United Kingdom
  • DH1 5UQ
Share this page on Facebook Share this page on Twitter Print this page