To get the best experience of this website, we recommend you upgrade your browser.

Upgrade your Internet Explorer

Durham County Council

Page location

Out of hours/in an emergency

Get help in an emergency or advice about your home, health and personal safety.

Police, fire or ambulance

Dial 999 if it's an emergency.

Council services

The following services provide out of hours support:

  • Call 03000 267 979 for emergency social care and child welfare concerns.
  • Call 03000 262 195 for Care Connect (community alarm service).
  • Call 01388 722 538 if you are homeless or facing homelessness.
  • Call 03000 266 000 for our births, deaths and marriages service.
  • Building control service (to report a dangerous structure). 
  • Report emergency council housing repairs to Durham City Homes or your housing provider.

Local police 101

Durham Constabulary - report anti-social behaviour, or other incidents not classed as an emergency, and get advice about crime prevention and household security by calling 101.

Fire brigade

County Durham and Darlington Fire and Rescue Service - get advice about household fire safety, including the installation of smoke alarms, by calling 08454 305 8383.

NHS 111

Telephone 111 when you need health advice fast, but it's not a 999 emergency.

Household emergencies

  • Electricity  - If your power supply is interrupted call 0800 668 877. 
  • Gas - if you smell gas contact the National Grid on 0800 111 999.
  • Water - Call 0800 393 084 for burst water mains or 0800 328 7648 for sewer issues.