Skip to content
  1. Do it online
  2. Login
  3. Have your say
  4. My Durham

Due to essential maintenance, the following systems will be unavailable from 6.00pm on Monday 2 October until 8.00am on Tuesday 3 October: our online council tax, business rates and housing benefit services, and our welfare assistance form. You will also not be able to register to pay council tax online, make a change of address for council tax or cancel single person discount. You are still able to make a payment during this time. We apologise for any inconvenience this may cause.

Transport to sixth form and college

This page gives you the most up-to-date information about transport assistance to sixth forms and colleges.

We will only provide transport to college or sixth form if you are unable to travel independently because of special educational needs (SEN), a disability or mobility difficulty or you live in an area where there is no public transport available (linked transport).

How to apply

Complete the online form to Apply for post-16 student travel assistance.

We will assess your application form and advise you in writing if you are eligible for home to college transport. Once you receive your letter advising you are eligible for home to college transport, you will need to provide a timetable to before your transport can be set up.

Check if you qualify

To qualify for any post-16 travel assistance:   

You must meet one of the following criteria

  • aged 16-19 in further education and have learning difficulties and/or disabilities and do not have an Education, Health and Care Plan (EHCP)
  • continuing your education having previously started a programme of learning before the age of 19 and you do not have an EHCP
  • aged 16-25 with learning difficulties and/or disabilities and do have an EHCP
  • aged 16-19 and you live in an area where there is no public transport available (linked transport to access my nearest post-16 establishment)

You must also meet all of the following criteria

  • live in County Durham
  • be undertaking a programme of learning, study or work placement that is full-time (i.e. at least 540 plus guided learning (planned and funded) hours per year)
  • live more than 3 miles from the school/college (education provider), as measured by the council, (the 3 miles limit is not applicable to students unable to walk the distance to school/college because of SEN, a disability or mobility difficulty)
  • attend the nearest establishment that provides the full-time programme of learning or work placement that you wish to follow, whilst having had reasonable opportunities to choose between different establishments at which education and training is provided. Assistance with travel may be provided in exceptional circumstances to an establishment that is not the nearest but is within a reasonable distance of the nearest establishment.

Further information

If you are a student starting your post-16 study in September, there's more information about the travel assistance available to you in our Post-16 Transport Policy Statement (TPS) available on our School transport policies and strategies page.

Higher education courses and independent fee-paying establishments

If you are in receipt of an allowance for attending a higher education course or attending independent fee-paying establishments, you are not entitled to travel assistance.

Request a review of our decision not to award transport

If we do not award home to college transport to you, you can request a review of our decision in writing within 20 days of the receipt of the decision letter. You will need to send additional supporting evidence with the request. Each case will be considered individually.

Concessionary seats

Where spare seats are available on a school bus, these can be sold to children who are not entitled to free transport. This is called concessionary travel. Full details of the concessionary travel scheme, including bus routes available, how to apply, how seats are allocated and how to pay are available on our apply for a spare seat on school transport page.

Some colleges operate schemes to help students with transport and some public service operators offer special tickets for students. There's more information about help for post 16 travel in our Post-16 Transport Policy Statement (TPS) available on our School transport policies and strategies page.

Behaviour on home to college transport

We expect good behaviour from young people when using the school transport we provide. When you apply for home to college transport, you are required to sign a declaration stating that you agree to abide by the conditions as set out in the home to college transport policy. See our  Icon for pdf Behaviour on School Transport Policy (PDF, 121.6kb)  for more information.

Other help that is available

Help is available from a range of sources. For families who are seeking travel assistance see our Post-16 Transport Policy Statement (TPS) available on our School transport policies and strategies page which gives more information. If you are unable to apply online you can contact us.

Contact us
School and College Transport
03000 264 444
Our address is:
  • School Places and Admissions Team
  • Children and Young People's Services
  • Green Lane
  • Spennymoor
  • County Durham
  • United Kingdom
  • DL16 6JQ