Consultation on the Commissioning Strategy for People with Learning Disabilities
This consultation gives you the chance to have your say on how we will design, develop or buy services for people with learning disabilities.
The draft strategy sets out how we will work together with other partners to buy in services that deliver better outcomes for people with learning disabilities, increasing choice and control and supporting them to remain living in their communities.
Put simply, our shared vision is for all people with a learning disability to have a good life in their community with the right support from the right people at the right time.
Our proposed strategy:
- looks at a whole-life approach including the transition into adulthood
- focusses on early help, timely intervention and prevention
- promotes the independence of people with a learning disability
- aims to improve outcomes such as increased independence, employment, wellbeing, choice, control, community resilience
- looks to deliver a coordinated approach to supporting people so they can achieve their goals
- promotes and develops provider resilience and responsiveness to local needs
- looks to increase efficiency and value for money
To achieve the above, the draft strategy contains the following aims:
- commission collaboratively in partnership with other agencies to implement the strategy
- improve understanding of needs to commission appropriate services and facilitate partnership working
- improve understanding of service provision and develop the market to better meet needs
- improve outcomes and quality of life
- deliver transforming care
Have your say
We have been talking to service users at face to face events. We welcome feedback on whether or not you feel we have listened and responded in the best way possible when commissioning services over the next three years.
We will gather all the feedback and amend the draft strategy before it gets final agreement.
- 03000 266 837
Our address is:
- Adult and Health Services
- Durham County Council
- 2/56-70, County Hall
- County Durham
- United Kingdom
- DH1 5UG