Durham in Bloom
Durham in Bloom involves everyone coming together to improve the horticultural aspects of Durham City. It also encourages people to take pride in their local environment.
Follow our campaign at Durham in Bloom on Facebook.
If you, your school, business or organisation would like to get involved with Durham City's In Bloom campaign, please contact us.
We were recognised in 2021
In place of the Britain in Bloom Finals Tour, last year, Royal Horticultural Society expert panels considered 118 digitally submitted projects across five categories that recognise distinct aspects of community gardening.
Durham in Bloom was recognised as being outstanding in the Cultivating your community:Strengthening communities and building links between diverse groups of people category.
Durham in Bloom's success
Proud of our unique heritage, Durham is a longstanding supporter of the Bloom campaigns, having won the Best Large Town trophy 17 times in the last 21 years.
Examples of In Bloom schemes and projects
- 'Best dressed market stall' competition
- 'Best dressed shop/business window' competition
- 'Beautiful Durham' gardening competition
- NHS floral displays to commemorate 2020
- 'VE Day 75th anniversary' display- Gilesgate Roundabout
- 3D floral displays:
- Bishop's Mitre - Market Place
- St Cuthbert's Cross - Palace Green
- Poppies and miners lamps - Leazes Bowl
- Improvements to the Japanese Sakura Garden at the Botanic Garden
- Heritage Mosiac and Miners Banner at Wharton Park
- Joint Volunteer Project - Bulb Planting
- Horse and Chariot Public Art - Oriental Museum
Durham in Bloom group
Durham's in Bloom bid is supported by the following organisations:
- Believe Housing
- City of Durham Parish Council
- Dean and Chapter of Durham Cathedral
- Durham Agency Against Crime
- Durham AAP
- Durham BID
- Durham County Council
- Durham Train Station - LNER
- Durham University: Botanic Gardens
- East Durham College (Houghall Campus)
- Ethicare Durham
- HMP Durham
- Prince Bishops Shopping Centre
- St Cuthbert's Catholic Church, Durham
- St Cuthbert's Hospice
- St. Margaret's Allotments
- St Oswald's Church, Durham
- Woodland Trust
Beautiful Durham gardening competition
As part of our entry to Northumbria in Bloom, we hold our annual Beautiful Durham competition which encourages people to improve their environment and communities in Durham City and surrounding areas. Residents, groups organisations and schools, within the competition area can enter to showcase their gardens, horticultural schemes, floral displays, hanging baskets or planters.
Durham City is probably most famous for its magnificent Norman cathedral and castle which are both Durham World Heritage Sites. In addition, Durham University is renowned and ranked in the World Top 100 universities.
In partnership with
- Northumbria in Bloom
- Civic Pride
- 03000 26 0000
Our address is:
- Durham County Council
- Chilton Industrial Estate
- County Durham
- United Kingdom
- DL17 0SD