Skip to content
  1. Do it online
  2. Login
  3. Have your say
  4. My Durham

Due to essential maintenance, the following systems will be unavailable from 3.00pm on Friday 31 March until 8.00am Monday 3 April 2023: our online council tax, business rates and housing benefit services, and our welfare assistance form. You will also not be able to register to pay council tax online, make a change of address for council tax or cancel single person discount. You are still able to make a payment during this time. We apologise for any inconvenience this may cause.

Make an appeal about council tax

How to appeal if you think your bill has been calculated incorrectly or you think your property is in the wrong council tax band.

If you make an appeal, you must continue to pay your council tax as normal until a final decision is made.

Who can appeal?

Anyone whose name is shown on your council tax bill. You can appeal either:

How to appeal your bill

You can appeal your bill if you think we've made a mistake, for example:

  • you're not the person who should pay the bill
  • you should get a discount or reduction you have not received
  • you think your property is exempt from council tax

To do this you'll need to write to us, stating that you'd like to make an appeal and detailing your reasons why.

If you don't agree with the outcome of your appeal

If you make an appeal to us and you don't agree with the outcome, or we don't respond within two calendar months, you can appeal to a Valuation Tribunal. This is a free and independent tribunal, funded by Parliament, which deals with council tax and rating appeals in England. Please see their website for how to do this.

How to appeal your property's council tax band

The Valuation Office Agency (VOA) values properties for council tax. This valuation is used to set your council tax band. You might need to contact the VOA if you think your council tax band is wrong.

You can find out more about when you can challenge your band and what you need to do at Challenge your Council Tax band. If you challenge your band, you must continue to Pay your council tax at your current band until your appeal is decided.

Visit to Contact the VOA. If you are unable to use the online service you can also contact the VOA on 03000 501 501.

Contact us
Council tax
03000 26 4000
Our address is:
  • Revenues and Benefits
  • PO Box 238
  • Stanley
  • County Durham
  • United Kingdom
  • DH8 1FP
Related information