Big Spring Clean
Join us for this year's Big Spring Clean
Big Spring Clean is our annual community litter picking campaign and this year's event takes place between Monday 12 February February and Monday 15 April.
Join us for an open day
Could you spare a couple of hours to join in a litter pick in your local area? Come along to one of our open days, speak to one of the team and find out more:
- Wednesday 21 February - Dales Centre, Stanhope
- Wednesday 6 March - Council Offices, Green Lane, Spennymoor
- Wednesday 20 March - Barnard Castle Library
- Wednesday 27 March - Byron Shopping Centre, Seaham
- Wednesday 3 April - Durham Town Hall
- Wednesday 10 April - Bishop Auckland Town Hall
All events are 10.00am to 12 noon.
Join in on social media and share pictures of your litter picks with us: #CleanerDurham2024
Last year's campaign
- Last year we gave out 1,540 pieces of litter picking equipment and over 250 litter picking events took place across the county.
- Six open days took place in areas where we have traditionally seen low engagement including Chester-le-Street, Stanhope and Consett.
- We had face-to-face engagement with over 100 community volunteers and engaged with 1,559 primary school children.
Organise your own litterpick outside of the campaign
We support individuals, organisations and community groups who would like to organise their own litter picks throughout the year. For further information on how to book the loan of equipment and the guidelines on how to lead your own litter pick safely, please contact us.
Help keep your area tidy
- Always put litter in a bin.
- Recycle where possible.
- Do not throw litter from cars/vehicles as this affects our roads, countryside and natural habitats for wildlife.
- Encourage children, friends and family to put their litter in a bin or take their rubbish home with them.
- Remember; dropping litter is an offence and is enforced by a £150 (maximum) and £65 (minimum early payment) Fixed Penalty Notice (FPN).
Litter not only blights the environment and makes areas look untidy; it also affects natural habitats and wildlife. Big Spring Clean encourages and supports residents, businesses and volunteers to organise litter pick activities or events to help tidy their village or town.
Please see our Support for the community to improve the environment or Civic Pride team pages for information on how we can support other environmental projects in your area.
- LitterFree Durham
- 03000 261 000