Skip to content
  1. Do it online
  2. Login
  3. Have your say
  4. My Durham

Our online forms (customer account / Do it online) system will not be available between 10.00pm on Tuesday 22 June and 6.00am on Wednesday 23 June. We apologise for any inconvenience this may cause.

If you're of working age and think you may be eligible for help with your rent, you must apply for Universal Credit instead of Housing Benefit. Please note that the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) is responsible for Universal Credit - see DWP: coronavirus and claiming benefits for up to date information on how the DWP can help you if you are affected by the coronavirus. 

How the number of bedrooms you have affects your benefit

Housing Benefit payments and Local housing Allowance (LHA) rates are affected by the number of bedrooms you have.

If you rent from a housing association

If your household has more bedrooms than the law says you need, these are classed as 'spare bedrooms', even if people use them. Your Housing Benefit will be reduced by:

  • 14% of your rent if you have one spare bedroom
  • 25% of your rent if  you have more than one spare room

If you rent privately

In most cases, if you rent privately, your housing benefit is worked out using the Local Housing Allowance rates.

Again you will only be paid for the number of bedrooms the law says you need for your household, rather than how many you have. You can use the Local Housing Allowance: bedroom calculator  to work out the LHA rate that applies to your household.

Find out about other differences to Claim Housing Benefit when you rent privately.


Contact us
03000 26 2000
Our address is:
  • Finance and Transactional Services
  • PO Box 238
  • Stanley
  • County Durham
  • United Kingdom
  • DH8 1FP
Share this page on Facebook Share this page on Twitter Print this page