Skip to content
  1. Do it online
  2. Login
  3. Have your say
  4. My Durham

To report a weather emergency, or if you are vulnerable and need help, call 03000 26 0000.

See our Disruptions, closures and warnings page for current road, school and library closures.

Discretionary Housing Payment (DHP)

If you are a tenant and need extra help to meet your housing costs, you may be able to claim Discretionary Housing Payment (DHP).

What is DHP?

DHP is not a benefit payment. It's a stand alone, short term payment. We award these payments if we think that they will help you sort out your housing and money problems in the longer term.

You have to show that you are doing everything you can to address your housing or money problems. These problems might include difficulty to find a home or get a job, debts, or benefits and welfare issues.

For more information - contact us.

Apply for DHP

If you want to apply for DHP contact us - we will help you complete your application form.

Or you can download and complete the Icon for pdf Discretionary Housing Payments application form (PDF, 358.0kb) . Return it to the address included on the form.


Contact us
Housing Solutions
03000 268 000