Skip to content
  1. Do it online
  2. Login
  3. Have your say
  4. My Durham

Apply for a temporary road, path or public right of way closure for roadworks

If you are planning work that affect a road, pathway or public right of way, you need to apply to us first.

Apply for a temporary road, path or public right of way closure

Please note: this form only gives you permission to close a road or public right of way. If excavation is required, you may also need to apply for a Street Works permit or a Section 50 licence. If you need any other permits, please apply for these first to ensure they all occur at the right time.

How long will the application take

Progressing a legal order for the closure takes a minimum of eight weeks and applications can only be accepted if they are at least eight weeks in advance of the start date of the order.

Applications for closures for road and street work must be linked to an approved Provisional Advance Authorisation (PAA) request for a works permit (or other licence eg Section 50). This must be submitted a minimum of three months before the proposed start date of the permit or order (TTRO).

What you need to tell us

You will need to provide the following information:

  • a traffic management plan identifying the section of road, path or right of way that has been closed. This needs to include full details of any proposed diversion route and signage in compliance with Chapter 8 of the Traffic Signs Manual.
  • why the closure has happened
  • the start date of the closure
  • how long the closure will last
  • whether the closure will be during working hours only or 24 hours a day
  • whether the work will be carried out through the night
  • any exemptions permitted to the closure such as access for pedestrians, cyclists, emergency services
  • 24 hour contact details of the person or organisation responsible for the work and your customer services contact (if appropriate)
  • confirmation that all staff installing temporary traffic management are LANTRA qualified


The cost for a closure is approximately £1,300 - an administration and legal fee of £440.64, and the cost of two mandatory newspaper adverts.