Information about the leisure transformation consultation
Find out about the stages of our leisure transformation consultation.
We are proposing to deliver a mix of new building projects and refurbishments to existing buildings to improve our leisure facilities.
The plans include changing and improving the buildings and the introduction of new activities which reflect changing trends and support the economic recovery of both the leisure centres and wider county. We are also reviewing many of the existing products and services, introducing new activities and changing spaces to accommodate the new activities.
The transformation plans have been put together following research and consultation. They are aimed at providing all centre users with access to an updated range of activities or facilities which will help you keep active, promote a healthy lifestyle, and help us to sustain our leisure services now and into the future. Whether you are just starting out, or are already well into your activity journey, we want to help by providing spaces and places which are modern, well equipped, and meet the needs of our community.
What has already happened
We have asked for your views on the following:
- Consultation outcomes on Abbey Leisure Centre's facilities
- Consultation outcomes on Peterlee Leisure Centre facilities
- Consultation outcomes on Spennymoor Leisure Centre facilities
- Consultation outcomes on Teesdale Leisure Centre facilities
- Consultation outcomes on Riverside Leisure Complex facilities
- Consultation outcomes on The Louisa Centre facilities
- Consultation outcomes on Chester-le-Street Leisure Centre facilities
- Consultation outcomes on Woodhouse Close Leisure Complex facilities
What is happening now
When we consulted with you during July 2022 about proposals for the Riverside Leisure Complex, as part of your feedback you asked us to carry out further consultation on Chester-le-Street's two key outdoor facilities; riverside complex and Roseberry sports facility. The Consultation on outdoor sporting facilities in Chester-le-Street will be taking place during December 2022 and January 2023.
What will happen next
As plans progress, we will consult on each project, and share information with you through a range of online and in-person consultations. Getting you involved and sharing your feedback is really important to us, but it depends on the progress of each individual project.