One to one advice and support to get moving
Our one to one Move service can help you get the advice and support you need to begin your exercise journey. You could be eligible for a free gym or swim membership too. You can get started by completing our online form and arranging a chat with us.
The Move support and advice service is here for everyone in County Durham aged 11 years and over. If you can relate to one or more of the below statements, our dedicated support service could be just what you need to help you get moving:
- I'm struggling to start exercising as I don't know what to do.
- I don't know what exercise opportunities are available.
- I'm new to exercise and I don't know where to start.
- I have had Covid-19 and I'm apprehensive of exercising.
- I used to exercise but I haven't for a while.
- I would like to get some advice on how to improve my fitness.
- I would like to improve my mental health through getting more active.
- I would like to exercise at home but I don't know what to do.
- I want to be more active but I don't know where to start.
- I would like to meet other people.
- I would like to get some advice on how to improve my coordination and balance.
- My strength has decreased over the pandemic.
- My mental health has been affected due to Covid-19.
- I have reduced household income due to the pandemic.
- I've been shielding during the pandemic and I'm nervous about coming back to activity.
What support is available
- Free one to one appointment with one of our specialist trained instructors who will support you to start your exercise journey by helping you find the most suitable activities for you.
- Free exercise tasters in leisure centres and in the community.
- Whether you're exercising in a leisure centre or in the community, or even both, you will receive advice, support and regular follow-ups throughout your journey.
- Free gym, swim or class memberships for those who are eligible.
- Free thrive membership providing discounted activities within leisure centres.
- Free live and on demand exercise classes.
Accessing the dedicated one to one support service is easy
To access the dedicated one to one support service and start receiving the support and advice you need to begin your exercise journey, all you need to do is complete the online form at Move - Start your journey!.
Our Wellbeing Pathway will take you through some very simple steps as outlined below:
Step 1 - Complete the online form- Let us know you're interested by completing the online form at Move - Start your journey!. It takes no longer than 2 minutes of your time. Once you click submit it will be automatically sent to your chosen Leisure Centre.
Step 2 - Arrange a Move appointment - Within a few days, expect to be contacted by one of our specialist trained staff who will arrange an appointment for you at leisure centre of your choice at a time that suits you.
Step 3 - Attend your free one to one Move appointment - At your appointment you will receive personalised and confidential advice and signposting to help you get moving. Your instructor will provide information and guidance on appropriate leisure centre and community activities and membership options as well as plan follow up appointments so you can receive ongoing support when you need it to help keep you on track.
Who can access the dedicated one to one support
- To start your exercise journey through MOVE you need to live in County Durham and be aged 11 and over. Don't worry if you live outside of County Durham, as we may still be able to support you to start your exercise journey so please get in touch.
Free gym or swim membership
To benefit from a free six month MOVE gym or MOVE swim membership you need to meet the following criteria:
- You are currently inactive and do less than 30 minutes of exercise per week.
- Aged 11 years and above.
- You must be a County Durham resident.
- You will need to complete a Move - Start your journey! appointment.
- You must not have had a Durham County Council gym or swim membership within the last six months.
Free exercise class membership
Anyone who lives in County Durham and aged over 16 can take advantage of the free Move exercise class membership.
Don't worry if you can't decide which activity is right for you, our qualified staff will help tailor the most suitable options for you during your free Move appointment and allow you try some activities before you choose.