Activity Coordinator support
In unprecedented times it is more important than ever to enhance the lives of vulnerable residents and create an environment where they can have experiences to enhance their physical health and emotional wellbeing. That's why we are providing a range of help and support for the county's Activity Coordinators.
The Care Academy are working with Activity Coordinators within care to improve meaningful occupation and provide a network to help share resources and information and provide training and development opportunities.
We are also keen to work with Activity Coordinator's who are key staff in Care Homes to help identify where they can play a crucial part in the Falls Prevention Agenda and in supporting falls reduction strategies through delivering programmes and activities which include strength and balance exercises. We have developed a number of target areas around falls prevention and want to raise greater awareness of the impact that these improvements can make.
This will include some key benefits:
- Funded NAPA membership for a year, for the care home management responsible for activity provision.
- Quarterly 52-page glossy magazine with 20-page pull-out section called 'Things to Do' that can be ring bound to build a resource file of ideas.
- Telephone helpline manned by skilled activity providers which is available Monday to Thursday, 7.30am to 4.00pm.
- Resources section on the website with articles, research and useful information.
- NAPA eNews every two weeks with updates on events and news across the care sector.
- Closed Facebook group for exchanging ideas and offering support.
- Have access to some Free and Discounted Training Opportunities and Accredited Qualifications.
- Membership Certificate to display in reception.
- The Care Quality Commission Provider Information Return form asks for details of involvement with national bodies supporting best practice - NAPA is listed.
Activity Coordinator Network meetings
Every month we are hosting virtual network meetings where activity coordinators can come together to share experiences and improve their development and learning. These are being held generally on the first Thursday of every month from 9.30am to 10.30am.
If you would like to take part in these meetings, please email us for more information and the link to the meeting.
Free training for Activities Coordinators
Activity Training Assessment Certificate
ATAC is an accredited modular home-study distance learning course leading to a demonstration of competence in underpinning knowledge required for the role of Activities therapists working in care homes, day centres or other care settings. This unique form of training is ideal for anyone wishing to carry out meaningful activities. There is an emphasis on the concept of 'life themes' as part of the planning and implementation process. The course provides important underpinning knowledge for staff working within the new Skills for Care framework and for staff involved in the qualification and framework. The training is accredited by the ODLQC and will be provided free of charge.
Seated Dance and Exercise Qualification with Activcare Coaching
Level 2 Seated Dance and Exercise Leader - this accredited online course has been designed for professionals wanting to help increase the fitness levels and wellbeing of clients through seated dance exercise. Aim to support physical well-being, encouraging regular movement, maintaining mobility with fun and interactive sessions.
If you are interested in signing up for any of this or any other Care Academy training please contact us.
- County Durham Care Academy
- 03000 260 222
Our address is:
- Durham County Council
- County Hall
- County Durham
- United Kingdom
- DH1 5UQ