Unintentional injuries in early years settings
This theme will support our early years providers to prevent and raise awareness of unintentional injuries in and around the home with families.
Unintentional injuries in and around home are a major cause of preventable death and disability among children under five years in England. The majority of these injuries are preventable.
If you pledge, this is what you are committing to do
- Give advice on child safety in relation to their age and stage of development.
- Give advice to families on the correct use of basic safety equipment in and around the home.
- Train staff to identify common themes and appropriate advice on accident prevention.
- Promote the County Durham and Darlington Fire and Rescue Services safe and well programme to vulnerable families.
- Celebrate and promote National Child Safety Week.
- Commit to engaging and working with external partner and agencies.
Training and resources
You can access the training and resources below to support you in promoting safety in the home for under 5's and supporting families to implement safety precautions in the home or the community, and to support you in achieving the pledge.
Unintentional injuries training (free)
This is a multi-agency training programme aiming to raise awareness of the risks/hazards within the home to reduce accidents in the home for children 0-5 years. The training also aims to reduce the accident and emergency (A&E) attendances and hospital admissions.
For more information on how to access a place please contact email@example.com
- Gov.uk: Preventing unintentional injuries staff guide
- Gov.uk: Reducing unintentional injuries among children and young people
- Practical guide on safety for the under fives
- Children's burns trust: Hot water and burns information
- Child Safety Week 2021
- Child Accident Prevention Trust - child safety week
- Child Accident Prevention Trust Factsheets
- Child Accident Prevention Trust – Button Batteries
- Child Accident Prevention Trust – Choking
- Child Accident Prevention Trust – Making sense of accidents
- Child Accident Prevention Trust – Why are grapes so dangerous?
- Food safety advice on choking hazards in settings
- Early years
- Early years
- 03000 268 917
Our address is:
- Early Years Workforce Development Team
- Children and Young People's Services
- County Hall
- County Durham
- DH1 5UJ