Physical activity in early years settings
This theme will support settings to increase physical activity opportunities within existing practice and promote and support families to increase physical activity within the home.
If you pledge, this is what you are committing to do
- Promote the Chief Medical Officer physical activity guidelines in the setting, and with staff and families.
- Provide daily opportunities in the setting for children to be physically active both indoors and out.
- Train and support staff to increase knowledge and confidence when delivering and promoting physical activity.
- Commit to engaging and working with external partner and agencies.
Programmes, training and resources
You can access the programmes, training and resources below to support you to increase physical activity opportunities in your setting, and to support you in achieving the pledge.
Ready Sett Go Programme
Ready Sett Go is a 10-week physical activity programme aimed at improving children's physical literacy through a range of fun fundamental movement skills and activities. Practitioners attend a CPD session and settings will be given a kit bag to support the sustainability of the programme after the 10-week period.
For more information contact us.
Move with Max
Move with Max is an evidence-based movement programme aimed at Early Years Foundaton Stage (EYFS) that teaches fundamental movement skills through readily available story books.
For more information contact email@example.com
Active 30 Durham
The Active 30 Durham Campaign aims to support schools in County Durham to reach the Physical Activity Guidelines of every child participating in 30 minutes of moderate to vigorous intensity activity every day at school.
- e-Learning for healthcare: Physical Activity and Health programme
- National Centre for Sports and Exercise Medicine: Early movers practitioner training
- Physical activity in disabled children and disabled young people: evidence review
- Gov.uk: CMO physical activity infographics
- Gov.uk: Physical activity guidelines: UK Chief Medical Officers' report (Birth-5 guidelines are on page 23; 5-18 guidelines are on page 28 of the document)
- NHS: About Change4Life
- NHS: Change4Life activities
- NHS: Change4Life 10 minute shake up games
- Active matters
- Community playthings: Every child a mover
- Early education: Every Child a Mover: A practical guide to providing young children with the physical opportunities they need
- Youth Sport Trust: Healthy movers
- Pacey: Outdoor activities
- Pacey: Tips, factsheets and downloads
- Active matters: movement skills
- Active 30 campaign booklet
- Living Streets’ Little Feet walk to school
- Early years
- Early years
- 03000 268 917
Our address is:
- Early Years Workforce Development Team
- Children and Young People's Services
- County Hall
- County Durham
- DH1 5UJ