Skip to content
  1. Do it online
  2. Login
  3. Have your say
  4. My Durham

Drug and alcohol help and support for adults

If you are concerned about your own use of drugs and alcohol or worried about a family member or friend, this page gives you advice on how to get help and support.

County Durham drug and alcohol recovery services 

County Durham drug and alcohol recovery services are discreet and confidential. You can access them through your GP or health and social care professional referral or you can refer yourself.

Help and support is available through County Durham drug and alcohol recovery services.

What happens after being referred?

A member of the service will contact you and arrange an appointment. You will be assessed and offered support and treatment by trained staff including nurses, counsellors, and recovery workers. One-to-one support is also available with trained ex-service users as their lived experience means they have a good understanding of your needs.

The package of care and support will be personalised around your needs and recovery. 

Your family/carer can also receive dedicated support. Overcoming dependency requires a high level of personal responsibility, but is very seldom achieved without a supportive network of family, friends or the recovery community.

Useful organisations

Alcoholics Anonymous 

If you need help with a drinking problem you can contact Alcoholics Anonymous.

Narcotics Anonymous 

If you have a drug problem contact Narcotics Anonymous, they can help, they've been there.


Drinkline is the national alcohol helpline. If you're worried about your own or someone else's drinking, you can call this free helpline in complete confidence. Call 0300 123 1110 (weekdays 9.00am to 8.00pm, weekends 11.00am to 4.00pm).

Related information